Caramelized Carrot Mash
- SERVINGS: 6
Unlike standard pureed carrots, these are oven-roasted until caramelized, making them ideal modern comfort food.
- 1/4 cup pure olive oil
- 3 1/2 pounds carrots, halved lengthwise
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup chicken stock or canned low-sodium broth
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Preheat the oven to 400°. Spread the oil on 2 large rimmed baking sheets. Arrange the carrots, cut side down, on the baking sheets. Rub a little of the oil over the carrots and season with salt and pepper. Bake for about 45 minutes, or until the carrots are very tender and browned on the bottom.
- In a large saucepan, heat the chicken stock with the honey. Add the carrots and, with a potato masher, mash the carrots coarsely. Season with salt and pepper and serve hot.
Serve With Short Rib Stroganoff.