Caramelized Broccoli with Garlic
- ACTIVE: 15 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 35 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
Chef David Gingrass swears broccoli haters will love the polarizing green vegetable when it's prepared this way, because it is slowly caramelized to bring out its sweetness, then enlivened with a squeeze of lemon and a pinch of crushed red pepper.
More Quick Side Dishes
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 heads of broccoli (1 1/4 pounds total), stems peeled and heads halved lengthwise
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- Pinch of crushed red pepper
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- In a large, deep skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. Add the broccoli, cut side down, cover and cook over moderate heat until richly browned on the bottom, about 8 minutes. Add the water, cover and cook until the broccoli is just tender and the water has evaporated, about 7 minutes. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil along with the garlic and the crushed red pepper and cook uncovered until the garlic is golden brown, about 3 minutes. Season the broccoli with salt and black pepper, drizzle with the lemon juice and serve.