© Tina Rupp
Caramelized Black Pepper Chicken
- ACTIVE: 25 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 35 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
At the chicken.
Quick Chicken Recipes
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- About 1/4 cup fish sauce (nam pla)
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon finely grated fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 2 fresh Thai chiles, halved, or dried red chiles
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 cilantro sprigs
- In a small bowl, combine the sugar, fish sauce, water, rice vinegar, garlic, ginger, pepper and chiles.
- Heat the oil in a large deep skillet. Add the shallot and cook over moderate heat until softened, about 4 minutes. Add the fish sauce mixture and the chicken and simmer over high heat until the chicken is cooked through, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a serving bowl, garnish with the cilantro and serve.
NotesBecause fish sauces vary in their saltiness, Phan advises adding the fish sauce to taste.
Serve WithSteamed jasmine rice.
An oaky, round and ripe Napa Valley Chardonnay will balance the pepper-sweet sauce of this chicken dish.