Caramelized Banana Tart
- ACTIVE: 25 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR 40 MIN
- SERVINGS: 6
Chef Way Zoe Behrens of Washington, DC's 1789 Restaurant makes her own puff pastry for this tart, which she serves with homemade ice cream and rum raisins in caramel sauce.
Easy Way Good store-bought all-butter puff pastry forms the base of this banana tart glazed with a simple caramel sauce.
More Pies and Tarts
- 1/2 vanilla bean, split, seeds scraped
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 large egg yolk mixed with 1 1/2 tablespoons water
- 5 small, just-ripe bananas, halved lengthwise
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 14 ounces all-butter puff pastry, thawed in the refrigerator
- Sweetened whipped cream or vanilla ice cream, for serving
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 375°. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the puff pastry to a rough 10-by-15-inch rectangle, then trim it to a neat 9-by-14-inch rectangle. Using a ruler, cut a 3/4-inch-wide strip of dough from each side; you will have 2 long and 2 short strips. Transfer the rectangle to the prepared baking sheet and brush with the egg wash. Set the strips on each side to form a border, pressing firmly to help the dough adhere; brush the strips with the egg wash. Freeze the tart shell until chilled, about 10 minutes.
- Prick the bottom of the tart shell all over with a fork. Bake in the lower third of the oven for about 40 minutes, until the shell is puffed and golden. Press down the center of the shell slightly. Increase the oven temperature to 425°.
- Rub the bananas with the lemon juice. In a skillet, cook the sugar over moderate heat, stirring until melted. Cook without stirring until a medium-amber caramel forms, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat; whisk in the butter, vanilla seeds and water. Add the bananas and gently turn to coat with the caramel. Arrange the bananas in the tart shell, cut sides up, leaving most of the caramel in the skillet. Drizzle 1/4 cup of the caramel over the bananas. Bake the tart for about 20 minutes, until the bananas are slightly tender. Let cool slightly, then serve with whipped cream or ice cream, passing the remaining caramel on the side.
Fruity Hungarian Tokaji.