Caramelized Apple French Toast
- SERVINGS: 4
Use a good-quality dense white bread that won't fall apart when soaked. Bake the French toast for a couple of minutes longer if you like it extra-crisp.
- 1 teaspoon unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 cup low-fat (1%) milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons dark rum
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- Pinch of salt
- Eight 1/2-inch-thick slices white bread
- Preheat the oven to 375°. Lightly grease a large nonstick baking sheet with the butter. Press the brown sugar through a strainer onto a medium plate to remove any lumps and then sprinkle 2 tablespoons of the sugar evenly over the prepared baking sheet.
- In a shallow bowl, whisk the milk with the eggs, applesauce, granulated sugar, rum, vanilla, cardamom, and salt. Add the bread slices and turn to coat, until thoroughly moistened. Arrange the slices on the prepared baking sheet and sprinkle evenly with the remaining 2 tablespoons brown sugar. Bake for about 20 minutes, turning once, until the toast is lightly browned and the sugar is caramelized. Transfer the French toast to warm individual plates and serve with the blueberry and mango compote and the turkey sausage patties.