- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 vanilla bean, split and seeds scraped
- 24 chocolate wafer cookies, crushed (5 ounces)
- 1 pint passion fruit sorbet, softened slightly
- 1 pint vanilla ice cream, softened slightly
How to make this recipe
- Assemble the sundaes In a medium saucepan, stir the sugar with the water and bring to a boil over high heat. Using a wet pastry brush, wash down any sugar crystals from the side of the pan. Cook, without stirring, until a deep amber caramel forms, about 8 minutes. Remove the saucepan from the heat and carefully whisk in the heavy cream, butter and vanilla bean and seeds. Carefully scrape the caramel sauce into a heatproof glass jar and let cool to room temperature. Discard the vanilla bean.
- Assemble the sundaes Spoon 2 tablespoons of the cookie crumbs into each of 4 tall 10-ounce glasses. For each sundae, top the crumbs with a 1/4-cup scoop of the passion fruit sorbet, 2 tablespoons of the caramel sauce and a 1/4-cup scoop of the vanilla ice cream. Repeat the layering once more, starting with the cookie crumbs. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of the crumbs over each sundae and serve at once.
The caramel sauce can be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks. Rewarm before serving.