- SERVINGS: 8
PS 7's, Washington, DC
Chef-owner Peter Smith's sweet, hazelnut-flecked popcorn is a riff on the bowls of nuts and popcorn that line so many bars.
- 10 cups lightly salted plain popped popcorn
- 1/2 cup blanched hazelnuts, toasted and chopped
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- Vegetable oil spray
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with a silicone liner or buttered parchment paper. In a large bowl, mix the popcorn and chopped nuts. In a small saucepan, combine the sugar, corn syrup and butter and bring to a boil. Cook over moderately high heat for 2 minutes. Off the heat, whisk in the vanilla, salt and baking soda. Immediately pour the caramel over the popcorn and toss with a rubber spatula coated with vegetable oil spray.
- Spread the popcorn on the baking sheet and bake for 2 minutes; stir to coat. Repeat 3 more times, until the popcorn is evenly coated with caramel. Remove from the oven and stir until the caramel hardens, 5 minutes.Transfer to a bowl and serve.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.