Caponata with Kalamata Olives and Asiago Cheese
- ACTIVE: 40 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR 10 MIN
- SERVINGS: 6 to 8 servings
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 large eggplants (1 1/2 pounds), cut into 1-inch dice
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 medium zucchini (1 pound), cut into 1-inch dice
- 2 yellow squash (1 pound), cut into 1-inch dice
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2 large celery ribs, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 medium onion, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- One 16-ounce can plum tomatoes, drained and chopped
- 1 cup pitted kalamata olives
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped oregano
- One 3-ounce piece aged Asiago cheese, shaved into strips with a vegetable peeler (about 3/4 cup)
- Baguette slices, for serving
- In a small saucepan, combine the vinegar with the sugar and boil over moderately high heat until reduced to 3 tablespoons, about 5 minutes. Let cool.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat 3 tablespoons of the olive oil until shimmering. Add the diced eggplant, season with salt and pepper and cook over moderately high heat, stirring, for 2 minutes. Reduce the heat to low and cook, stirring occasionally, until the eggplant is tender, about 10 minutes. Transfer the eggplant to a large bowl. Wipe out the skillet.
- Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil to the skillet and heat until shimmering. Add the diced zucchini and yellow squash, season with salt and pepper and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 7 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the squash to the bowl with the eggplant.
- Add the garlic, celery and onion to the skillet and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until softened slightly, about 5 minutes. Add the red bell pepper and cook until all of the vegetables are tender, about 4 minutes longer. Transfer to the bowl with the eggplant and squash.
- Add the tomatoes, olives, parsley, oregano and balsamic syrup to the bowl and fold gently. Season the caponata with salt and pepper. Transfer to a clean bowl. Garnish with the Asiago cheese and serve with the baguette slices.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.