Candied Plantain Tarts
- SERVINGS: MAKES SIX 4-INCH DISCS 1/4-INCH THICK
- 3/4 cup Butter
- Pinch of Salt
- 3/4 cup confectioners sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups plus 2 tablespoon cake flour
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans
- 3 ripe plantains
- 6 tablespoons superfine sugar
- MAKE THE TOPPING Preheat oven to 350°. Butter and flour a cookie sheet and set aside. Place butter, salt, confectioners' sugar and vanilla in mixer and mix until fluffy. Add flour and pecans and mix by hand until a dough forms. Be careful and do not overmix or dough will toughen. Chill dough for 1/2 hour or overnight. Roll dough out to 1/4-inch thickness and cut out 4-inch disks. Bake them on prepared sheet for 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cut plantains very thin on bias. Arrange thin slices on the baked pecan pastry disks in concentric circles. Moisten the plantains and dust heavily with the sugar. Broil or heat with kitchen blow torch until a thick hard caramel forms.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.