Candied Bacon Cashews
- TOTAL TIME:
- SERVINGS: Makes about 5 cups
To make these cashews extra-indulgent, Colin Lynch stirs in crispy bits of bacon and a little rendered bacon fat, too.
Slideshow: More Great Sweet and Savory Bacon Recipes
- 1/4 pound slab bacon, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 cups raw cashews (1 1/4 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- Smoked sea salt (see Note)
- In a small skillet, cook the bacon over moderate heat until browned, about 7 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the bacon to a paper towel–lined plate. Measure out 1 tablespoon of the rendered bacon fat and reserve.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the sugar with 1/2 cup of water and bring to a boil. Add the cashews and cook over high heat, stirring constantly, until golden, about 8 minutes. Stir in the butter and the reserved 1 tablespoon of bacon fat and cook over low heat, stirring, for 2 minutes. Stir in the diced bacon and season with smoked salt. Let cool completely, then serve.
NotesSmoked sea salt is available at specialty food stores and from surlatable.com.