Canadian Bacon and Cheddar Cheese Flan
- ACTIVE: 20 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR 25 MIN
- SERVINGS: 8
Canadian bacon is a lean, smoked meat that is more similar to ham than to bacon. It comes from the loin cut. Dan Philips, founder of the Grateful Palate, likes the intense flavor of Carlton Canadian bacon from Oregon.
More Brunch Recipes
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 pound white mushrooms, stems discarded, caps thinly sliced
- 5 ounces thickly sliced Canadian bacon, cut into 1/2-inch dice (1 cup)
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground pepper
- 10 large eggs
- 1 quart heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Cayenne pepper
- 6 ounces sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded (2 cups)
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Butter a 9-by-13-inch glass baking dish. In a large skillet, melt the butter. Add the mushrooms and cook over moderate heat until their liquid evaporates, about 5 minutes. Raise the heat to moderately high and cook, stirring, until browned, about 3 minutes. Transfer the mushrooms to the prepared baking dish. Toss the bacon, parsley and pepper in the baking dish, then spread in an even layer.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs well. Whisk in the cream, salt and a pinch of cayenne. Slowly pour the custard over the mushrooms and bacon and sprinkle the cheese over the top. Bake the custard for 50 minutes, or until just set. Transfer to a rack to cool for 15 minutes, then cut into squares and serve hot or warm.
A buttery California Chardonnay with an oaky smokiness will echo the richness of the cream and Cheddar cheese and the saltiness of the bacon here. Look for one from Sonoma County.