- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, plus more for brushing
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 12 ounces andouille sausage, cut into 1/3-inch-thick rounds
- 4 ounces spicy, smoked beef jerky, cut into 1/2-inch squares
- 2 1/2 cups plus 2 tablespoons low-sodium beef broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, crumbled
- Two cans black beans with liquid
- 1 pound precooked rice
- 2 very ripe plantains, peeled and sliced on the diagonal 1/2 inch thick
How to make this recipe
- In a large flameproof cast-iron casserole, heat the 2 tablespoons of oil. Add the onion and garlic and cook over moderate heat until softened. Stir in the andouille and beef jerky. Add 2 1/2 cups of the broth, the bay leaf and oregano and bring to a boil. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Add the beans and their liquid and simmer for 15 minutes longer. Discard the bay leaf.
- Meanwhile, light a grill. Mound the rice on the bottom half of a large sheet of nonstick heavy-duty foil. Fold the foil over the rice; fold up 2 of the sides and crimp. Pour the remaining 2 tablespoons of broth into the rice packet and crimp the remaining side. Set the packet on the grill and heat the rice until warm.
- Brush the plantains with oil and grill over moderately high heat, turning once or twice, until lightly charred and tender, about 5 minutes. Carefully open the rice packet and serve with the feijoada and plantains.
Juicy, robust red, such as a Grenache.