Cambodian Chicken-and-Rice Soup with Shrimp
- TOTAL TIME: 40 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
Chef way For this spicy, soothing and restorative chicken-and-rice soup, Ratha Chau prepares his own delectable chicken stock and roasts a chicken, which is then cut into large pieces and added to it.
Easy way Using prepared stock and preroasted chicken significantly cuts back on prep time.
- One 3-pound rotisserie chicken
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups chicken stock or low-sodium broth
- 1 cup water
- 3 tablespoons Asian fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 cup cooked jasmine rice
- 8 shelled and deveined medium shrimp, halved lengthwise (about 1/4 pound)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 2 tablespoons chopped basil
- 1 Thai chile, thinly sliced
- Lime wedges, for serving
- Cut the chicken into legs, thighs, breasts and wings. Cut each breast crosswise through the bones into 3 pieces. Remove the thigh bones and cut each thigh in half.
- In a large saucepan, heat the oil. Add the ginger and garlic and cook over moderate heat until softened, about 3 minutes. Add the stock, water, fish sauce, honey and rice and bring to a boil. Add the chicken pieces and simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in the shrimp and cook just until opaque, about 1 minute. Stir in the lime juice, cilantro, basil and chile and serve right away, passing lime wedges at the table.
Citrusy, off-dry Australian Riesling.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.