- ACTIVE: 5 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 25 MIN
- SERVINGS: MAKES ABOUT 1 1/2 CUPS
- 5 dried ancho chiles (2 ounces), stemmed and seeded
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 large garlic clove
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 plum tomato, halved and seeded
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon pimentón (Spanish smoked paprika) or sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon sherry vinegar
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 3/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- In a heatproof bowl, cover the anchos with the boiling water and let stand until softened, about 20 minutes. Drain the chiles. Transfer half of them to a food processor along with the garlic, olive oil and salt; puree until smooth. Add the tomato, pimentón, vinegar, lemon juice, cayenne and cumin and puree until smooth.
- Finely chop the remaining anchos. Add them to the processor and pulse 2 or 3 times, just until combined. Transfer the harissa to a bowl.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.