- SERVINGS: 6
Although this classic Portuguese soup is simple to make, it requires the highest quality chorizo, a spicy and chewy smoked sausage. It's also best with a leafy kale, such as Russian kale or Tuscan cavolo nero.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large Spanish onion, chopped
- 6 ounces chorizo, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 2 quarts water
- 1 pound Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 pound kale, stems discarded and leaves finely shredded
- Heat the 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large enameled cast-iron casserole. Add the garlic, onion and half of the chorizo and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until the onion softens, about 8 minutes. Add the water, potatoes and a large pinch each of salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Simmer over low heat until the potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes. 2. Using an immersion blender, process the soup to a coarse puree. Bring the soup to a boil. Add the kale and simmer until it is wilted, about 3 minutes. Stir in the remaining half of the chorizo and simmer for 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and serve in bowls, drizzled with olive oil.
To accompany this hearty, garlicky soup, try a lively, rich white.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.