© Cedric Angeles
Calabrese Mustard Greens
- ACTIVE: 25 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 50 MIN
- SERVINGS: 8
Just a little red wine vinegar transforms this otherwise familiar bowl of garlicky greens.
- 6 pounds mustard greens or chicory, stems discarded
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 5 large garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons crushed red pepper
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add half of the greens and cook, stirring a few times, until just tender, about 3 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the greens to a colander and rinse with cold water. Repeat with the remaining greens. Drain very well. Coarsely chop the greens.
- In a large, deep skillet, heat the olive oil. Add the garlic and crushed red pepper and cook over moderate heat until the garlic is golden brown, about 1 minute. Add the greens and stir well. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the greens are heated through, about 8 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer the greens to a large bowl and let cool to room temperature. Stir in the vinegar and serve.
Make AheadThe cooked greens can be refrigerated overnight. Serve lightly chilled.