© Con Poulos
Cajun Sofrito Ketchup
- TOTAL TIME: 25 MIN
- SERVINGS: 1 1/2 cups
Richard Landau doctors store-bought ketchup with sautéed vegetables (sofrito) and Cajun spices. It's great on a veggie burger.
Slideshow: Veggie Burgers
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup minced green bell pepper
- 1/2 cup minced onion
- 1 cup diced plum tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons Cajun spice blend
- 1 cup ketchup
- In a skillet, heat the oil until shimmering. Add the green pepper and onion and cook over moderately high heat, stirring, until lightly browned, 3 minutes. Add the tomatoes and Cajun spice and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until the tomatoes have broken down, 8 minutes. Off the heat, stir in the ketchup. Let cool, then transfer to a jar.
Make Ahead The ketchup can be refrigerated for up to 1 week.