- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 7 Belgian endives
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 3 anchovy fillets, mashed
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 cups 1/4-inch-diced white bread
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, plus more for garnish
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 small garlic clove, smashed
How to make this recipe
Preheat the oven to 350°. In a medium bowl, toss the bread with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Spread the bread on a baking sheet and toast for about 10 minutes, stirring once, until golden and crisp.
Meanwhile, in the same bowl, using a spoon, mash the anchovies to a paste with the garlic and a pinch of salt. Whisk in the mayonnaise, lemon zest and lemon juice, then whisk in the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Stir in the 1/4 cup of grated cheese.
Trim the endives and remove the 60 largest leaves from 6 of the heads. Stack the leaves and trim them to about 4 inches. Thinly slice the remaining endive, along with the trimmings of the 6 other heads (you should have about 3 cups), and toss with the dressing. Spoon the salad onto each spear and garnish with the croutons and grated cheese. Serve immediately.