Cabbage, Kielbasa and Rice Soup
- TOTAL TIME: 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
Good sausage is an excellent time-saver, because the links are already spiced and seasoned. The slices of Polish kielbasa in this soup add a wonderfully smoky, peppery, garlicky flavor.
- 7 3/4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup long-grain white rice, such as basmati or jasmine
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3/4 pound kielbasa, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 1 onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1/2 medium green cabbage, cored and finely shredded
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- In a medium saucepan, combine 1 3/4 cups of the chicken broth with the rice and bring to a simmer. Cover and cook over low heat for 18 minutes, until the rice is tender.
- Meanwhile, in a soup pot, heat the oil. Add the kielbasa and cook over moderately high heat until lightly browned, about 4 minutes. Add the onion and cabbage and cook until softened, about 6 minutes. Add the remaining 6 cups of broth and bring to a simmer. Cook over moderately low heat until the cabbage is tender, 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, stir in the rice and serve.
Fresh, herbal Austrian Grüner Veltliner.