© Phoebe Lapine
Cabbage Fried Rice
- TOTAL TIME:
- SERVINGS: 4
Cabbage is a super-healthy vegetable that’s available year-round, making this fried rice great for a light winter meal.
Slideshow: Great Cabbage Recipes
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 small yellow onion, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 cup julienned carrots
- 4 cups shredded Napa or Savoy cabbage
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons minced peeled fresh ginger
- 4 cups cooked long-grain white rice (see Note)
- 4 large eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- Juice of 1 lime
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- In a nonstick wok or large skillet, heat the oil. Add the onion, carrots and cabbage and stir-fry over high heat until the vegetables are softened and beginning to brown, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and ginger and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the rice and stir-fry until heated through and beginning to brown, about 3 minutes.
- Push the fried rice to the side of the pan to create a well. Pour the eggs into the well and cook, stirring gently, until nearly cooked. Toss the fried rice with the eggs and cook for 1 minute longer. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the soy sauce, lime juice and scallions. Transfer the fried rice to bowls and serve.
NotesIn a pot of boiling salted water, cook 1 1/2 cups raw long-grain rice until al dente. Drain and use right away or refrigerate.