- TOTAL TIME:
- SERVINGS: MAKES ONE 10 1/2-INCH TART SHELL
This simple, flaky pastry comes from cookbook author Lydie Marshall.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 stick (4 ounces) unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 to 3 tablespoons cold water
- In a food processor, combine the flour, butter, sugar and a pinch of salt. Pulse until the mixture resembles coarse meal and transfer to a bowl. Add 2 tablespoons of the cold water and toss gently with a fork; add up to 1 more tablespoon of water if the dough seems dry. Gather the dough into a ball and flatten slightly. Wrap in wax paper and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough to a 12-inch round. Fit the dough into a 10 1/2 -inch fluted tart pan with a removable bottom. Trim the edge and prick the bottom. Freeze the shell for at least 30 minutes before baking.