- SERVINGS: MAKES ONE 10 1/2-INCH TART SHELL
This simple, flaky pastry comes from cookbook author Lydie Marshall.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 stick (4 ounces) unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 to 3 tablespoons cold water
- In a food processor, combine the flour, butter, sugar and a pinch of salt. Pulse until the mixture resembles coarse meal and transfer to a bowl. Add 2 tablespoons of the cold water and toss gently with a fork; add up to 1 more tablespoon of water if the dough seems dry. Gather the dough into a ball and flatten slightly. Wrap in wax paper and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough to a 12-inch round. Fit the dough into a 10 1/2 -inch fluted tart pan with a removable bottom. Trim the edge and prick the bottom. Freeze the shell for at least 30 minutes before baking.
Make AheadThe frozen shell can be wrapped in plastic and kept in the freezer for up to 1 month.