Buttery Almond Cakes
- SERVINGS: 12
Plus: More Dessert Recipes and Tips
- 1 stick plus 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 1/4 cups whole blanched almonds (6 1/2 ounces)
- 1 3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 5 large egg whites
- 1/8 teaspoon pure almond extract
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- Strawberry Compote
- Preheat the oven to 450°. Generously butter a 12-cup mini-muffin pan (1/4-cup size). In a medium saucepan, cook the butter over low heat until fragrant and browned, about 8 minutes; let cool completely. Spread the almonds on a baking sheet and toast in the oven for about 5 minutes, or until light brown; transfer to a plate and let cool completely.
- In another large stainless steel bowl, whip the egg whites with a pinch of salt until they hold very soft peaks. Stir the butter and almond extract into the almond mixture, then fold in the egg whites until just combined.
- Spoon the batter into the muffin cups, filling each two-thirds of the way; sprinkle with the pine nuts. Bake for 8 minutes. Reduce the oven temperature to 400° and bake for 8 minutes longer, or until the centers of the cakes have risen to form points and spring back when touched. Run a small knife around the cakes and remove them from the pan while still hot. Let cool completely on a rack. Serve with the Strawberry Compote.
Make AheadThe cakes can be stored in an airtight container for up to 1 day.
Serve WithStrawberry Compote