- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 large thyme sprigs, plus thyme leaves for garnish
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup Scotch
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- Maldon sea salt
- 1 pound prepared rice pudding
- 1/2 cup roasted almonds, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
How to make this recipe
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter with the thyme sprigs. Add the brown sugar and cook over moderately low heat, stirring occasionally, until melted and glossy, about 6 minutes. Remove from the heat and whisk in the Scotch. Cook over low heat until any hardened caramel is dissolved. Add the cream and whisk until the butterscotch is smooth and glossy. Discard the thyme sprigs and season the sauce with salt.
- In a bowl, mix the rice pudding with the almonds and cranberries. Fold in 1/4 cup of the butterscotch sauce and spoon into bowls. Drizzle with the remaining butterscotch sauce, garnish with thyme leaves and serve right away.