Butternut Squash Glazed Tart
- ACTIVE: 45 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 2 HRS
- SERVINGS: 8
This elegant puff pastry is quick to make. You’ll be surprised at how delicious butternut squash is for dessert. Look for a squash with a long neck.
- One 1-pound neck of butternut squash—peeled, halved lengthwise and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 8 ounces all-butter puff pastry, chilled
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons apricot preserves, melted
- 2 tablespoons chopped toasted pecans
- Preheat the oven to 375°. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and butter the paper. Brush the squash with the melted butter and sprinkle with 1 1/2 tablespoons of the sugar. Roast for about 45 minutes, flipping the squash slices halfway through, or until softened. Let cool.
- Meanwhile, roll out the pastry to a 14-by-6-inch rectangle and transfer it to a parchment paper–lined baking sheet. Prick the pastry all over with a fork and refrigerate until firm, about 5 minutes. Top with another sheet of parchment paper and a flat cookie sheet and bake for about 30 minutes, until the pastry is lightly golden on the bottom but not set. Remove the top cookie sheet and parchment and bake for 10 minutes longer, until the pastry is golden and crisp. Let cool.
- Blend the cream cheese with the cinnamon and the remaining 1/2 tablespoon of sugar and spread it on the pastry. Arrange the squash slices on top. Brush with the apricot preserves and sprinkle with pecans. Cut into slices and serve.