© William Meppem
Buttermilk Waffles with Fresh Strawberries
- SERVINGS: 4
More Brunch Recipes
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1 pint strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger (optional)
- Pure maple syrup, for serving
- Preheat an 8-inch-square nonstick waffle iron. Preheat the oven to 200°. In a large bowl, whisk the flour with the baking powder, 1 tablespoon of granulated sugar and the salt. In a medium bowl, whisk the egg with the buttermilk and butter. Gradually stir the wet ingredients into the flour mixture; the batter will be lumpy.
- Pour half of the batter into the waffle iron and bake until browned, about 5 minutes. Transfer the waffle to the oven to keep warm. Repeat with the remaining batter.
- In a bowl, toss the strawberries with the remaining 2 teaspoons of granulated sugar. In a small bowl, whisk the sour cream with the brown sugar and ginger. Cut the waffles into 4 squares. Set 2 waffle squares on each plate and spoon the sour cream on top. Garnish with the strawberries and serve with maple syrup.