- 2 pounds baking potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 firm medium celery root (about 1 pound), peeled and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 small leeks, white and light green parts, sliced crosswise 1/2 inch thick
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
How to make this recipe
- In a large saucepan, cover the potatoes and celery root with water, add a pinch of salt and bring to a boil. Simmer over moderate heat until the vegetables are tender, 35 to 40 minutes. Drain the vegetables and return them to the pan.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a small saucepan. Add the leeks, cover and cook over moderate heat for 5 minutes. Add the cream, season with salt and pepper and simmer, uncovered, until the leeks are tender, about 7 minutes. In another small saucepan, gently heat the buttermilk; do not boil or it will curdle.
- Coarsely mash the potatoes and celery root. Stir in the hot buttermilk and then the creamed leeks. Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg and serve.