- 2 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 1/2 cups fine stone-ground cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Preheat the oven to 400°. Grease an 8-inch-square baking pan with 1/2 tablespoon of oil. In a bowl, whisk the cornmeal, salt, baking powder and baking soda. In another bowl, whisk the buttermilk with the eggs, honey and the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil. Stir the buttermilk mixture into the dry ingredients with a rubber spatula just until blended.
- Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and bake until the corn bread is golden brown and springy to the touch, about 20 minutes. Turn the corn bread out onto a rack to cool completely.
The corn bread can be wrapped in plastic and refrigerated for up to 3 days or frozen for up to 2 weeks.