- 1/4 cup beef demiglace (available at specialty food stores)
- 1 tablespoon prepared roasted garlic puree
- 1 tablespoon minced hot Italian pickled peppers
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 3 slices of pumpernickel rye bread, crusts removed, bread cut into 1/2-inch dice
- One 1-ounce piece of pancetta, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 head butter lettuce, quartered
- 4 ounces blue cheese, crumbled (1 cup)
- 1 Hass avocado, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 2 tablespoons snipped chives
How to make this recipe
Preheat the oven to 350°. In a small bowl, whisk the demiglace with the garlic puree, hot peppers, olive oil and vinegar.
Spread the bread cubes on a baking sheet and toast in the oven for about 15 minutes, tossing once or twice, until crisp. Let cool.
In a small skillet, cook the pancetta over moderate heat, stirring, until golden and crisp, about 6 minutes. Transfer to paper towels to drain.
In a bowl, toss the lettuce with the garlic dressing, blue cheese, avocado and croutons. Transfer to plates, sprinkle with the pancetta and chives and serve.