Butter Lettuce Salad with Tomato Vinaigrette
- ACTIVE: 50 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR 20 MIN
- SERVINGS: 8
This delicious roasted-tomato vinaigrette is enhanced with blue cheese, which makes the dressing extra-thick and rich. It's a great contrast to the crisp lettuce, salty bacon and spicy pepitas that top the salad.
- 2 plum tomatoes, halved
- 2 medium shallots, quartered lengthwise
- 1/3 cup canola oil, plus more for brushing
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons sherry vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2/3 cup crumbled blue cheese (2 1/2 ounces)
- 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure chile powder, preferably guajillo
- 1/4 pound slab bacon, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 2 medium heads butter lettuce, quartered through the cores
- Thinly sliced onion and diced tomato, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 425º. Brush the tomatoes and shallots with canola oil. Roast on a rimmed baking sheet for about 30 minutes, until softened and browned in spots. Transfer to a blender and let cool completely. Add the vinegar and mustard and puree until nearly smooth. Add the blue cheese and puree until smooth. With the machine on, gradually add the 1/3 cup of canola oil and 1/3 cup of olive oil until incorporated. Season the vinaigrette with salt and pepper.
- In a pie plate, toss the pumpkin seeds with the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil and the chile powder and season with salt and pepper. Bake for about 10 minutes, until lightly browned; let cool.
- In a skillet, cook the bacon over moderate heat, stirring, until browned and crisp, about 7 minutes. Transfer to paper towels to drain.
- Arrange the lettuce wedges on plates and top with the pumpkin seeds, bacon, sliced onion and diced tomato. Serve with the tomato vinaigrette.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.