© Eric Wolfinger
Butter-Braised Corn with Dried Shrimp
- TOTAL TIME: 45 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4 to 6
This Asian take on buttered summer corn gets marvelous flavor from dried shrimp, Thai chile, scallions and fish sauce.
Slideshow: Great Corn Recipes
- 10 small dried shrimp
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 5 scallions, white and green parts thinly sliced separately
- 1 red Thai chile, thinly sliced
- 6 ears of corn—shucked, kernels cut off the cobs
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons Asian fish sauce, preferably nuoc mam (See Note)
- Put the dried shrimp in a bowl and cover with hot water. Let stand for 30 minutes. Drain and finely chop the shrimp.
- In a large skillet, melt 3 tablespoons of the butter. Add the shrimp, scallion whites and sliced chile and cook over moderate heat until the scallion is softened, about 2 minutes. Add the corn kernels and stir well. Add the sugar and fish sauce and cook, stirring occasionally, until the corn is crisp-tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in the remaining 1 tablespoon of butter and the scallion greens, season with salt and serve.
NotesNuoc mam is the word for fish sauce in Vietnamese. Some brands we like are Flying Lion, Three Crabs and Squid.