Butter-Braised Corn with Dried Shrimp
- TOTAL TIME: 45 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4 to 6
This Asian take on buttered summer corn gets marvelous flavor from dried shrimp, Thai chile, scallions and fish sauce.
- 10 small dried shrimp
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 5 scallions, white and green parts thinly sliced separately
- 1 red Thai chile, thinly sliced
- 6 ears of corn—shucked, kernels cut off the cobs
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons Asian fish sauce, preferably nuoc mam (See Note)
- Put the dried shrimp in a bowl and cover with hot water. Let stand for 30 minutes. Drain and finely chop the shrimp.
- In a large skillet, melt 3 tablespoons of the butter. Add the shrimp, scallion whites and sliced chile and cook over moderate heat until the scallion is softened, about 2 minutes. Add the corn kernels and stir well. Add the sugar and fish sauce and cook, stirring occasionally, until the corn is crisp-tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in the remaining 1 tablespoon of butter and the scallion greens, season with salt and serve.