- 2 shallots, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 2 bone-in chicken breast halves, with skin
- 2 whole chicken legs
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Black pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons finely chopped rosemary leaves
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped thyme leaves
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped basil leaves
- 1 garlic clove, thinly sliced
- 2 pints grape tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 teaspoon sherry vinegar
How to make this recipe
- Preheat the oven to 450°. In a small roasting pan, scatter the shallots, carrot and celery in an even layer.
- Rub the chicken with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil, then generously season with salt and black pepper. Arrange the chicken skin side up on top of the vegetables in the pan. Sprinkle the rosemary, thyme and 1 tablespoon of the basil over the chicken.
- Roast for 35 minutes, until an instant-read thermometer inserted in an inner thigh registers 165°. The skin should be golden brown and the juices should run clear.
- Meanwhile, in a small skillet, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil over moderately high heat. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for 45 seconds, until golden brown. Add the tomatoes, red pepper and vinegar; season with salt. Cook, stirring frequently, until the tomatoes are softened, about 3 minutes. Transfer to a serving bowl, stir in the remaining 2 tablespoons of basil and season with salt and pepper. Serve the tomatoes with the roast chicken.