Burn-Your-Fingers Chicken Wings
- SERVINGS: 12
The wings need to marinate overnight before roasting, so plan accordingly.
- 14 scallions, coarsely chopped
- 14 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 3/4 cup chopped, peeled fresh ginger
- 10 anchovy fillets, coarsely chopped
- 3 tablespoons crushed red pepper
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 cup pineapple juice
- 14 pounds chicken wings
- In a food processor, blend the scallions with the garlic, ginger, anchovies and crushed red pepper. Add the brown sugar, soy sauce, oil, black pepper and salt; blend. Add the pineapple juice.
- Make small slashes on the meaty parts of the chicken wings. Spread the wings in 2 very large roasting pans and pour the marinade on top. Rub the marinade into the wings. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Bring to room temperature before roasting.
- Preheat the oven to 500°. Arrange the wings in a single layer on large, oiled, rimmed baking sheets; pour any remaining marinade on top. Roast the wings on as many shelves as possible, rotating the pans, for 1 hour, or until the wings are deeply browned and crisp. Serve piping hot.
Try a light, fruity Viognier from California for a refreshing contrast to the zing of these wings.