- 14 scallions, coarsely chopped
- 14 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 3/4 cup chopped, peeled fresh ginger
- 10 anchovy fillets, coarsely chopped
- 3 tablespoons crushed red pepper
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 cup pineapple juice
- 14 pounds chicken wings
How to make this recipe
In a food processor, blend the scallions with the garlic, ginger, anchovies and crushed red pepper. Add the brown sugar, soy sauce, oil, black pepper and salt; blend. Add the pineapple juice.
Make small slashes on the meaty parts of the chicken wings. Spread the wings in 2 very large roasting pans and pour the marinade on top. Rub the marinade into the wings. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Bring to room temperature before roasting.
Preheat the oven to 500°. Arrange the wings in a single layer on large, oiled, rimmed baking sheets; pour any remaining marinade on top. Roast the wings on as many shelves as possible, rotating the pans, for 1 hour, or until the wings are deeply browned and crisp. Serve piping hot.
Try a light, fruity Viognier from California for a refreshing contrast to the zing of these wings.