Bulgur with Tangy Artichokes
- TOTAL TIME: 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
Chef Way Shawn McClain sautés fresh artichokes before mixing them with bulgur. He simmers asparagus in a shallow pan of water in the oven with lemon juice, sugar and salt for 15 minutes.
Easy Way We use delicious, tangy jarred artichokes in the salad and steam the asparagus for just five minutes.
More Recipes With Artichokes
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable stock, preferably homemade
- 9 ounces medium bulgur (1 1/2 cups)
- 1 bunch medium asparagus, stalks peeled
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 ounces marinated artichoke hearts, drained and quartered (1 cup)
- 1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 ounces marcona almonds (1/2 cup), coarsely chopped
- In a saucepan, bring the stock to a boil. Add the bulgur and bring to a boil. Cover and remove from the heat. Let stand until the liquid is completely absorbed, 10 minutes. Fluff with a fork.
- Meanwhile, steam the asparagus until crisp-tender, about 5 minutes. Pat dry and cut the asparagus into 1/2-inch pieces.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the lemon juice with the olive oil. Add the bulgur, asparagus, artichokes, parsley and lemon zest and season with salt and pepper. Add two-thirds of the almonds and toss. Sprinkle the remaining almonds on top and serve.