- 1 1/3 cups bulgur (about 1/2 pound)
- 1/2 cup pine nuts (about 3 ounces)
- 1 pound young fresh fava beans, shelled, or 1 cup frozen baby lima beans, thawed
- 1/2 cup finely diced seeded tomato
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup chopped dates
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro
- In a medium saucepan, bring 4 cups of water to a boil. Add the bulgur and cook for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and let stand uncovered until the bulgur is softened and chewy, about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350°. Toast the pine nuts for about 7 minutes, or until golden. If using fresh fava beans, blanch them in a small saucepan of boiling water until just tender, about 5 minutes. Peel off the tough skins. If using limas, blanch them in a saucepan of boiling water until tender, about 2 minutes.
- Drain the bulgur in a fine sieve, pressing lightly to extract as much water as possible. Transfer to a bowl and stir in the fava or lima beans, tomato, garlic, dates, lemon juice and oil. Season with salt and pepper and let stand at room temperature for at least 1 hour or up to 3 hours to allow the flavors to blend. Stir in the cilantro and pine nuts.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.