Bulgur Salad with Lightly Roasted Vegetables
- ACTIVE: 20 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 40 MIN
- SERVINGS: 6
"I love to make this salad with my son," says Mehmet Gürs. "It's so easy and it can get quite messy, which is fun for a four-year-old." The healthy cracked-wheat salad contains diced, just-tender roasted carrot, red onion and bell pepper, and little pieces of cucumber. Gürs also stirs in tomato paste, which adds richness and sweetness.
- 2 cups coarse bulgur, rinsed
- 2 cups hot water
- 1 medium zucchini, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 medium carrot, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 small red onion, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1/2 red bell pepper, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 medium cucumberpeeled, seeded and cut into 1/4-inch dice
- Crushed red pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400°. In a large bowl, cover the bulgur with the hot water. Cover the bowl with a plate and let stand until the water has been absorbed and the bulgur is tender, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, on a large rimmed baking sheet, drizzle the zucchini, carrot, onion and bell pepper with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. Season with salt and pepper and toss well. Roast for about 15 minutes, until the vegetables are slightly softened; let cool.
- Fluff the bulgur with a fork. Stir in the tomato paste. Fold in the roasted vegetables, lemon juice, cucumber and the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Season with salt, black pepper and crushed red pepper. Serve at room temperature or slightly chilled.