- 1 cup fine bulgur
- Kosher salt
- 1 1/4 cups very hot tap water
- 1/4 cup finely diced red onion
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped oregano
- 1 tablespoon drained small capers, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium cucumber—peeled, seeded and cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1/4 cup chopped pitted mixed olives
- 3 large romaine lettuce leaves, coarsely chopped
- Freshly ground pepper
- 3 ounces feta cheese, crumbled (1/2 cup)
How to make this recipe
- In a medium bowl, toss the bulgur with 1 teaspoon of salt. Stir in the water, cover with plastic wrap and let stand until the water is absorbed and the bulgur is tender, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large serving bowl, combine the red onion with the lemon juice, oregano, capers and garlic and let stand for 5 minutes. Whisk in the olive oil and then add the cucumber and olives. Fluff the bulgur with a fork and add it to the dressing. Add the lettuce, season with salt and pepper and toss well. Top the bulgur salad with the crumbled feta and serve right away.
A crisp, tangy Mediterranean white will blend with the earthy flavor of the bulgur. Try an Assyrtiko from Greece.