- 3/4 cup walnut halves (2 1/2 ounces)
- 1/3 cup drained oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, chopped, plus 1 tablespoon oil from the jar
- 1 cup medium bulgur (6 ounces)
- 1 cup canned chickpeas, rinsed
- 1/2 teaspoon Aleppo pepper flakes or pure ancho chile powder
- 1 3/4 cups boiling water
- 1 pound grape tomatoes (1 1/2 pints), halved
- 1/2 cup pomegranate seeds
- 1/3 cup coarsely chopped dill
- 1/3 cup coarsely chopped mint
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon pomegranate molasses dissolved in 2 teaspoons cold water (see Note)
How to make this recipe
Preheat the oven to 350°. Toast the walnuts in a pie plate for about 8 minutes, or until golden and fragrant. Let cool slightly, then chop coarsely.
Heat the sun-dried tomato oil in a large saucepan. Add the tomatoes and cook over moderately high heat for 1 minute. Add the bulgur and stir to coat with the oil. Add the chickpeas, Aleppo pepper and boiling water and bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat to low, cover and cook without stirring for 20 minutes. Remove from the heat and let stand covered and undisturbed until cooled slightly, about 30 minutes.
Using 2 forks, fluff the bulgur. Add the grape tomatoes, pomegranate seeds, dill, mint and lemon juice and season with salt and pepper. Transfer to a platter. Drizzle the diluted pomegranate molasses over the salad and scatter the walnuts on top. Serve warm.
One Serving 425 calories, 18.2 gm total fat, 1.8 gm saturated fat, 60 gm carb.
Pomegranate molasses is available at specialty food stores and Middle Eastern markets.