Bulgur and Lentil Salad with Chickpeas
- SERVINGS: 8
Delicious, Quick Side Dishes
- 1 cup beluga or French green lentils, rinsed and picked over (1/2 pound)
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 cups warm water
- 1 cup fine bulgur (6 ounces)
- 3 medium shallots, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup aged red wine vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons walnut oil
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 cups cooked chickpeas or one 19-ounce can, rinsed
- 1 cup finely chopped parsley
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped tarragon
- 1/2 cup walnut halves, toasted and coarsely chopped
- In a medium saucepan, cover the lentils with water. Add the bay leaf and 1/2 teaspoon salt; bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer until the lentils are tender, about 20 minutes. Drain well.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, pour the warm water over the bulgur and let soak until tender, about 30 minutes. Drain the bulgur and lightly squeeze it dry. Transfer it to a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, combine the shallots with the vinegar. In a mortar, puree the garlic with 1/2 teaspoon salt; add to the shallots. Whisk in the lemon juice and the olive and walnut oils. Season with pepper.
- Add the lentils, chickpeas, parsley and tarragon to the bulgur. Add the dressing and stir gently but thoroughly. Serve the salad warm or at room temperature, garnished with the walnuts.
Make AheadThe salad can be refrigerated for up to 1 day. Bring to room temperature before serving.
The chewy grains and peas in this salad make a tart red a better choice than a white. Some good selections: a Cabernet Sauvignon-Merlot from Washington State or a Grenache-Shiraz from Australia.