- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 8 large garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper, preferably Aleppo or Korean
- 4 buffalo strip steaks (about 1/2 pound each), about 1 inch thick
- Freshly ground black pepper
- In a small saucepan, warm 1/2 cup of the vegetable oil over moderate heat. Add the garlic and crushed red pepper and simmer over low heat until the garlic turns pale gold, about 5 minutes. Pour the flavored oil into a heatproof bowl or jar and season with salt.
- Season the steaks with salt and pepper. In a large cast-iron skillet, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil just until smoking. Add the steaks and cook over moderately high heat until browned, crusty and rare, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer the steaks to a cutting board and let rest for 5 minutes.
- Thickly slice the steaks crosswise across the grain and arrange the slices on plates. Drizzle the chile-garlic oil over the meat and serve.