- 2 racks of buffalo spare ribs (about 6 pounds total)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 8 large garlic cloves, 4 coarsely chopped and 4 minced
- 1 cup dry vermouth
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 1/2 teaspoons crushed red pepper
How to make this recipe
Preheat the oven to 325°. Set the ribs in a large roasting pan, meaty side up. Season the ribs with salt and black pepper and sprinkle with the chopped garlic. Pour the vermouth over the ribs. Cover with foil and bake for 2 hours.
Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the minced garlic with the vinegar, tomato paste, crushed red pepper, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper.
Raise the oven temperature to 400°. Scrape the garlic off the ribs and discard the liquid in the pan. Set the ribs on a rack in the roasting pan, meaty side up, and spread one-quarter of the vinegar glaze on top. Bake in the upper third of the oven for 1 hour and 20 minutes, brushing the ribs every 20 minutes; the ribs should be tender and deeply glazed. Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting down in between the ribs and serving.