buffalo butternut squash
- 1 large (about 2 pounds) butternut squash, peeled, cut into 2 1/2-inch sticks
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon shallots
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup cayenne pepper hot sauce
- 2 tablespoons water
- 3 sun-dried tomatoes in oil
- 5 celery stalks, peeled and thinly sliced on a bias, reserving celery leaves as garnish
- 1/4 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 1/2 tablespoon shallots, minced
- 1/2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup mascarpone
- 1/4 cup parsley, roughly chopped
How to make this recipe
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Peel and discard the seeds of the butternut squash and cut into 2 1/2-inch long pieces. Place the squash on a parchment lined baking tray and season with salt and pepper. Lightly drizzle with a teaspoon of olive oil and bake for 20 to 25 minutes until cooked through and crispy on the edges. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- Meanwhile make the buffalo sauce: In a heavy bottomed saucepan over medium heat, combine the butter, shallots, garlic, the vinegars, hot cayenne sauce and sun-dried tomatoes and bring to a boil. Season with salt and reduce the heat to low to simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and transfer sauce to a bowl of a food processor. Puree sauce until smooth and set aside.
- To make the celery salad, mix together the shallots, vinegars, blue cheese and mascarpone. Season the dressing with salt and black pepper and toss in the sliced celery and chopped parsley. Mix until celery is evenly coated in the dressing and place salad onto a serving plate.
- Transfer the butternut squash sticks to a mixing bowl, pour in the pureed hot pepper sauce and toss to evenly coat. Plate the butternut squash atop the celery salad, garnish with a few celery leaves, and serve immediately.