Bucatini with Cauliflower and Brussels Sprouts
- TOTAL TIME: 40 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
Marc Vetri sautés cauliflower and brussels sprouts with onion, garlic, anchovies and herbs until they're charred and flavorful, then tosses them with long, thick strands of bucatini. The best part: the crispy bread crumb topping.
- 12 ounces bucatini or perciatelli
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 pound cauliflower florets, cut in 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 pound brussels sprouts, halved or quartered if large
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 4 plump oil-packed anchovies, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 teaspoon chopped rosemary
- 1 teaspoon chopped thyme
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano, plus more for serving
- In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook the pasta until al dente. Drain the pasta, reserving 1/2 cup of the cooking water.
- Meanwhile, in a large, deep skillet, heat 1/4 cup of the oil. Add the cauliflower and brussels sprouts and season with salt and black pepper; cover and cook over moderately high heat, stirring occasionally, until lightly charred and crisp-tender, about 5 minutes. Add 1/4 cup of oil to the skillet along with the onion, garlic, anchovies, crushed red pepper, rosemary and thyme; cook, stirring, until the onion is slightly softened, about 3 minutes. Cover and cook over low heat until the cauliflower and sprouts are tender, about 3 minutes. Keep warm.
- In a small skillet, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Add the bread crumbs and cook over moderately high heat, stirring, until golden and crisp, about 4 minutes. Season with salt and transfer to a bowl.
- Add the pasta and reserved cooking water to the vegetables and cook over moderate heat, tossing, until the water is nearly absorbed. Remove from the heat and stir in the 1/2 cup of grated cheese. Serve the pasta in wide bowls, passing the bread crumbs and additional cheese at the table.
Rich white, such as a Fiano.