- TOTAL TIME: 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4 first-course servings
- 6 ounces bucatini or perciatelli
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 ounces pancetta, sliced 1/4 inch thick and cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 shallot, very finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, very finely chopped
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, plus more for serving
- 4 large egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped parsley
- Freshly ground pepper
- In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook the pasta until al dente. Drain, reserving 3 tablespoons of the cooking water.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat the oil. Add the pancetta and cook over moderate heat until most of the fat has been rendered, 7 minutes. Add the shallot and garlic and cook over moderate heat for 1 minute. Add the cream and simmer over moderate heat until slightly thickened, about 2 minutes. Add the hot pasta to the skillet and stir to coat, 1 minute. Remove from the heat. Stir in the reserved pasta cooking water, the 2 tablespoons of grated cheese and the egg yolks. Season with salt. Divide the pasta into bowls and sprinkle with parsley and pepper. Serve, passing more cheese at the table.
Carbonara pairs best with a tannic red to refresh the palate after each luxurious bite. Pour a robust Vino Nobile di Montepulciano, from Tuscany.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.