- 5 ounces pancetta, finely chopped
- 1 small white onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 medium carrot, grated
- One 28-ounce can whole plum tomatoes in juice, coarsely pureed
- Kosher salt
- 1 pound bucatini
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
How to make this recipe
In a medium saucepan, cook the pancetta over moderate heat until browned and crisp, about 6 minutes. Add the onion, marjoram and crushed red pepper and cook until the onion is softened, about 8 minutes. Add the carrot and tomatoes, season with salt and simmer over moderately low heat, stirring occasionally, until the sauce has thickened, about 40 minutes.
Meanwhile in a large pot of salted boiling water, cook the bucatini until al dente. Drain and transfer back to the pot. Stir the butter into the tomato sauce and add to the bucatini. Toss to coat, season with salt and serve.