Bubble Sundaes with Peach-Blueberry Compote
- TOTAL TIME: 25 MIN
- SERVINGS: 10
Inspired by bubble tea, Bill Kim tops his ice cream sundae with chewy tapioca pearls cooked in lemonade.
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup plus 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup medium pearl tapioca
- 4 peaches—peeled and diced
- 2 cups blueberries
- One 1/2-inch piece of fresh ginger, smashed
- Pinch of salt
- 2 1/2 pints vanilla ice cream, for serving
- In a medium saucepan, combine the water with 1 cup of the lemon juice and 1 cup of the sugar and bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Add the tapioca and cook over moderate heat, stirring often, until the pearls are plumped and tender, 3 to 5 minutes. Remove the tapioca from the heat and let cool to room temperature, stirring occasionally. Do not refrigerate.
- Meanwhile, in another medium saucepan, combine the diced peaches, blueberries, smashed ginger and salt with the remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons of lemon juice and 1/4 cup of sugar and bring to a boil. Simmer over moderately low heat until the compote is deep purple and slightly thickened, about 10 minutes. Scrape the compote into a heatproof bowl and let cool completely. Pick out the ginger.
- Scoop vanilla ice cream into glasses or bowls and top with the peach-blueberry compote. Garnish the sundaes with the tapioca and serve.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.