- 1/2 pound thickly sliced lean bacon, cut crosswise into thin strips
- 1 Spanish onion, thinly sliced
- 8 garlic cloves, halved lengthwise
- 4 cups chicken stock or low-sodium broth
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- Sugar (optional)
- 4 pounds brussels sprouts, trimmed
- In a large, deep skillet, cook the bacon over moderately high heat until browned, about 8 minutes. Add the onion and garlic, reduce the heat to moderate and cook, stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the stock, season with salt and pepper and a pinch of sugar and cook until the liquid has reduced to 1 cup, about 12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large pot of boiling salted water, blanch the brussels sprouts until barely tender, about 3 minutes.
- Add the sprouts to the skillet. Simmer gently over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until tender throughout, about 10 minutes; season with salt and pepper. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to a bowl. Boil the liquid in the skillet over moderately high heat until reduced to 1/2 cup. Pour the sauce over the brussels sprouts and serve.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.