- 1 pound brussels sprouts, thinly sliced lengthwise
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon sweet smoked paprika
- 4 slices of multigrain bread, toasted
- 4 ounces extra-sharp cheddar cheese, thinly sliced
How to make this recipe
Preheat the oven to 350°. In a saucepan of boiling salted water, cook the brussels sprouts until they are just tender, about 5 minutes. Drain and pat dry.
Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large skillet. Add the onion, season with salt and pepper and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until just softened, about 5 minutes. Add the paprika, cover and cook over low heat, stirring frequently, until the onion is tender, about 10 minutes; add a little water if the onion dries out.
Add the brussels sprouts to the skillet and cook until tender throughout, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
Arrange the toasts on a baking sheet and top with the cheddar. Bake for 2 minutes, until the cheese is melted; mound the brussels sprouts and onions on top and serve.