Brussels Sprout Salad with Pepitas and Dates
- TOTAL TIME: 35 MIN
- SERVINGS: 10 to 12
Aida Mollenkamp loves finding new ways to prepare slightly bitter ingredients, like brussels sprouts. In this salad, she builds up layers of flavor and texture with crunchy seeds, plump dried fruit and a tangy dressing.
Slideshow: More Delicious Ideas for Brussels Sprouts
- 3/4 cup raw pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
- Kosher salt
- 3 pounds brussels sprouts, quartered
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 small shallots, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- Freshly ground pepper
- 7 Medjool dates, finely chopped
- In a skillet, toast the pumpkin seeds over moderate heat, stirring, until golden, 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate; season with salt.
- Fill a large bowl with ice water. In a large saucepan of salted boiling water, cook half of the brussels sprouts until crisp-tender, about 4 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the brussels sprouts to the ice water bath to cool. Repeat with the remaining brussels sprouts. Drain well and pat dry.
- In a large bowl, whisk the olive oil with the lemon juice, vinegar, shallots and mustard. Add the brussels sprouts, season with salt and pepper and toss to coat. Stir in the pumpkin seeds and dates and serve.